Sunday, February 9, 2014

Volunteering Gives Me Courage


As you can see I am a volunteer at the 2014 NESCBWI (New England Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) conference. If you know me at all you are aware that I love to volunteer although you may not understand why so I thought I might tell you.

Not so many years ago I found myself living in the rust belt. Ten years earlier I had drove through the area and literally told God I would never want live in, due to the decrepit appearance.  Little did I know what was waiting for me.

On a very fine day I met Dani the most volunteering volunteer a person could be and she invited me to join the local Chamber of Commerce. I did and went to a few lunches and that was about the extent until I was asked to volunteer by Miss Dani. The next thing I know I am making friends, growing my business and having the time of my life. It was a rewarding experience to say the least.

Now, I am in a new place starting a new career as a picture book writer and illustrator. I am going to a convention alone and will not know a single person making me extremely uncomfortable. Volunteering gives me purpose and that makes me calm, forces me to engage with strangers, provides an introduction to others who volunteer who I already have a common bond with. To sum it up volunteering gives me courage!

No comments:

Post a Comment