Sunday, December 3, 2017

JOY



JOY! Such a short statement for a large order. Wanting to create giggles, smiles and joy take a dream, dedication, lots of work, and a few prayers to becoming a picture book writer and illustrator.

Dreaming

Declaring that I was an artist from the very first moments of conscious memory was the start. Combine my love of creating with the fact that I adore getting a laugh, created a dream that “Someday I would like to write and illustrate picture books”.  That is a very COMMON statement I have heard it countless times from countless people. I was dreaming like so many others. It could be compared to dreaming of being a Rock star or Movie star, because many dream, some try, few transcend and most important unless you try you will never succeed in achieving. Therefore it is just dreaming.


Dedication

Puttering and stuttering to a start writing and illustrating, searching the internet, reading, joining, conferencing, paying for critiques,  and working at developing talent into craft. Rinse with tears. Repeat.



Lots of Work


Journeying into the unknown is not an easy task and always full of pitfalls, wonderful surprises and a lot of hard work.


A Few Prayers

I remember a few prayers that I have made along the way: First I prayed for a critique group to help me grow my craft; Secondly I prayed that I would be able to get my work made into actual books. 

The first prayer was answered shortly after when a small Picture Book critique group formed close to home.  Putting my work in front of other writers was scary but I met some great writers who critiqued and praised helping me develop not only craft but confidence.

Prayer two is in the home stretch of being delivered as I finish final illustrations for my debut picture book.


JOY is the first three letters in the delivery of those prayers.  Thank you Joyce Shore Johnson for forming that critique group and then asking me to be part of Kid Lit Publishing. Let’s spread JOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment